Surgery prep: Eight questions to ask your surgeon
June 3, 2013 -- Every year, more than 15 million people in the U.S. have some kind of surgery. When it's your turn to go under the knife, will you know the important questions to ask your doctor?
Theresa Griffiths recently needed a hysterectomy and spent three months researching surgeons.
"I wanted to be fully informed and make a wise decision on who I'm entrusting my health to. I came in with a notepad of questions, and I wrote them all down," said Theresa Griffiths.
According to some doctors, Griffiths is among the few patients who come prepared to ask questions.
Dr. Arnold Advincula says patients should ask their surgeons more questions.
"Unfortunately, a lot of patients put less effort into figuring out their doctors than they do when they go out and buy a car," said Dr. Advincula.
He says these are important questions to ask:
What is your success rate for this procedure?
What is your complication rate?
These numbers should be equal to or less than the national averages.
"I think if your surgeon has difficulty answering those questions, then you should think twice," said Dr. Advincula.
He also urges patients to ask the following:
How many of these procedures have you performed?
Where did you receive your training?
What medical societies do you belong to?
"It's important to find out what your doctor's qualifications are. Are they qualified to be doing the procedure," said Dr. Advincula.
When it comes to the actual surgery, he says you should ask:
What are the benefits and risks?
Why am I having this done?
Are there any alternatives?
Griffiths' surgery was a success. She says having her questions answered gave her peace of mind.
"You have every right in the world to really be extremely informed about such a critical issue in your life," said Griffiths.
Dr. Advincula says one of the biggest mistakes patients make is not getting a second opinion before a major operation. He also says, when researching different procedures online, it's important to visit sites affiliated with major medical centers because there is often conflicting information on the web.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 10 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say 45 min ago
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly Airport
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
10 min ago
- 2014 International Home + Housewares Show
14 min ago