CDC: Stay home if you're sick
June 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- How many times have you gone to work when you're feeling sick? It's not a good idea for you or your co-workers.
p> The CDC says you should stay home until your fever is gone, and for at least 24-hours.
"There's still virus being virus present in the secretions and enough of it for a period of time after the fever is gone," Paul O'Keefe, Loyola infectious disease specialist, said.
Not everyone can financially afford to take one more day. In fact it's estimated 50-percent of workers don't get paid if they don't show up for work.
"I don't think it's trivial," O'Keefe said. "It might influence people's decision as to whether they come to work or not, I can't be sure but I suspect it does."
Scientists decided to look at what would happen if employees got paid sick days and even an extra day or two above that for flu.
They used computer models and figured just shy of 12-percent of workers got the flu from workplace transmission and of that nearly three-quarters of that was attributed to coworkers showing up sick.
They simulated two new scenarios: one in which workers had access to paid sick days and another where employees got that one or two extra flu days off, keeping them away even longer.
The results? Universal paid sick time could reduce workplace illness by nearly six-percent. An extra flu day reduced it by over 25-percent and two flu days off -- almost 40-percent.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home