CDC: Stay home if you're sick
June 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- How many times have you gone to work when you're feeling sick? It's not a good idea for you or your co-workers.
p> The CDC says you should stay home until your fever is gone, and for at least 24-hours.
"There's still virus being virus present in the secretions and enough of it for a period of time after the fever is gone," Paul O'Keefe, Loyola infectious disease specialist, said.
Not everyone can financially afford to take one more day. In fact it's estimated 50-percent of workers don't get paid if they don't show up for work.
"I don't think it's trivial," O'Keefe said. "It might influence people's decision as to whether they come to work or not, I can't be sure but I suspect it does."
Scientists decided to look at what would happen if employees got paid sick days and even an extra day or two above that for flu.
They used computer models and figured just shy of 12-percent of workers got the flu from workplace transmission and of that nearly three-quarters of that was attributed to coworkers showing up sick.
They simulated two new scenarios: one in which workers had access to paid sick days and another where employees got that one or two extra flu days off, keeping them away even longer.
The results? Universal paid sick time could reduce workplace illness by nearly six-percent. An extra flu day reduced it by over 25-percent and two flu days off -- almost 40-percent.
- Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 13 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD