ADA: Heavy in Kindergarten, Obese by Grade 8
July 4, 2013 (WLS) -- Kids who are overweight in kindergarten are more than five times as likely to be obese by the time they enter 8th grade.
The authors of a new study conclude parents must deal with diet and weight at a very young age, even pre-kindergarten.
In the report to the American Diabetes Association, researchers found boys are more likely to be obese than girls.
One expert blames the school system for the epidemic of obesity among the young on the fact physical education is being eliminated in many schools.
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos