ADA: Heavy in Kindergarten, Obese by Grade 8
July 4, 2013 (WLS) -- Kids who are overweight in kindergarten are more than five times as likely to be obese by the time they enter 8th grade.
The authors of a new study conclude parents must deal with diet and weight at a very young age, even pre-kindergarten.
In the report to the American Diabetes Association, researchers found boys are more likely to be obese than girls.
One expert blames the school system for the epidemic of obesity among the young on the fact physical education is being eliminated in many schools.
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area
- Missing Michigan doctor's car found in Indiana
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Dixon to receive $9.2M restitution in Crundwell case
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Elkhart native killed in NATO helicopter crash in Afghanistan
- Aurora pastor gets 12 years in prison
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates