August 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Psoriasis affects as many as 7.5 million Americans. It's a disease that affects the skin, appearing as dry, raised red patches and is associated with a buildup of dead skin cells.
As of right now, there is no known cure. However, for those who do suffer from this skin ailment, there are ways to treat and manage its symptoms so that you can feel confident in your skin. Kelly Mack, the owner of Absolute Precision Skin Care has some suggestions.
- Personal Care
- When showering, use lukewarm water, as hot water can irritate the skin
- Pat yourself dry instead of harshly toweling off, to avoid damaging skin
- Wash with a soap-free pH balanced wash, such as Sebamed Liquid Face and Body Wash ($12.99 at CVS stores nationwide and SebamedUSA.com)
- Add natural bath salts, oil or oatmeal to water to make it more hydrating. A good suggestion is hydro-active mineral salts ($28 at Dermstore.com and Absolute Precision Skincare)
- Don't be Afraid to "Super-Hydrate"
- Apply heavy skin creams immediately after getting out of the shower, try dermalogica ultrarich body cream ($48 at Dermstore.com and Absolute Precision Skincare)
- During the day, try moisturizers with anti-inflammatory properties and neutralizing green tints, such as Merle Norman Anti-Redness Cream ($40 at local Merle Norman Studios nationwide, visit MerleNorman.com for locations)
- Sun with Care: sunburns from UVA/UVB rays can make Psoriasis worse. To safely benefit from sun exposure:
- Cover unaffected skin with a sunscreen that has an SPF of 30 or higher, try Eminence Organics Tropical Vanilla Body SPF 32 ($49 at EminenceOrganics.com and Absolute Precision Skincare)
- Talk to your doctor first, because certain Psoriasis medicines aren't safe with high sun exposure
- Stick to the Plan: It can be messy and inconvenient to slather thick goo onto Psoriasis patches, day after day, but consistency is key! If you've been prescribed topical therapy, making it part of your routine will improve results.
- Consider Diet and Lifestyle Changes:
- Try eliminating certain foods, especially less nutritious ones
- Cut down/eliminate alcohol.
- Quit smoking.
Additional Product Information:
Sebamed Liquid Face & Body Wash ($12.99 at CVS stores nationwide): This 2-in-1 multi-tasking wash is ultra-mild, soap-free and provides a gentle, deep cleansing of the pores while naturally conditioning the skin. It promotes a pH value of 5.5 that matches the acidic pH level of healthy skin, and is clinically proven to promote the development of the skin mantle. The innovative cleansing formula contains skin-conditioning panthenol, moisturizing vitamins and amino acids that maintain and balance the skin's moisture level.
Merle Norman Anti-Redness Cream ($40 at local Merle Norman Studios nationwide, MerleNorman.com): This lightweight cream helps extinguish redness while soothing skin. Natural extracts help comfort skin on-contact while natural anti-inflammatory ingredients like Sea Whip and a neutralizing light green tint helps skin immediately look better!
Hydro-Active Mineral Salts ($28 at Dermstore.com and Absolute Precision Skincare): A sea-salt bath therapy for a remineralizing soak or all-over skin polishing. When used as a scrub, Sea Salts and Kelp help smooth and polish skin. As a soak, these ingredients combine with stress-reducing essential oils of Sandalwood, Lavender, Orange and Clary Sage to render skin silky-smooth.
Dermalogica Ultrarich Body Cream ($48 at Dermstore.com and Absolute Precision Skincare): Relieve extra-dry, aggravated skin with this deeply moisturizing body cream. Recondition thirsty skin and promote skin recovery from environmental assault, temperature extremes, stress and hormonal factors.
Eminence Organics Tropical Vanilla Body SPF 32 ($49 at EminenceOrganics.com and Absolute Precision Skincare): Natural SPF protection for all skin types with Shea Butter: calming and moisturizing; excellent emollient for skin and naturally-occurring sun screen, Zinc Oxide: astringent and soothing; aids in healing skin irritations and blocks broad spectrum UVA and UVB rays, Vanilla: calming; soothing
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan 11 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 8 min ago
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
8 min ago
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
11 min ago