One in five deaths due to obesity
August 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- New research shows that obesity may be contributing to nearly one in five deaths in the U.S.
A study looked at the health data for more than 700,000 people over two decades.Researchers found that 18 percent of all deaths in the U.S. are directly related to obesity, which is approximately one in five deaths.
The study also found that one out of every three Americans is obese.
Researchers are worried the obesity problem could erase decades worth of gains in the country's life expectancy.
- Winter storm spreads mixed precip across Chicago area 45 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons 54 min ago
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Hadiya Pendleton Foundation holds holiday toy drive
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- Kids recite world leaders' speeches for contest
- Santa hands out coats to kids at Englewood police station
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
- Winter storm spreads mixed precip across...
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos