Blood Pressure IQ
August 24, 2013 -- About one in three Americans has high blood pressure, and nearly one-third do not know it. There's a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to this common condition.
It can sneak up on you, or become a life-long problem. High blood pressure comes in many forms.
"There are a billion people in the world that have hypertension, high blood pressure," said Dr. David Brown, a cardiologist.
But how much do you know about this common problem? Fact or fiction: you need to monitor both arms when measuring blood pressure. A British study found differences in blood pressure between left and right arms could increase the risk of death.
Here is another, leaving the table salt on the table lowers your risk. Not necessarily! Up to 75 percent of the sodium you consume is hidden in processed foods, so check your labels, too. Fact or fiction: a small increase in blood pressure isn't a big deal? Fiction.
"For every ten millimeters of blood pressure increase, you have the doubling of heart attacks, the doubling of strokes," said Brown.
So, do men and women have an equal risk for high blood pressure? Yes! While men tend to develop the condition at a younger age, women catch up after menopause.
True or false: only med's can lower blood pressure. False! Lifestyle makes a difference. The Dash Diet can reduce blood pressure in just 14 days and by 8 to 14 points over time.
Finally, are warning signs really hard to spot? Besides a rare headache, high blood pressure usually has no signs or symptoms. Now, you know the facts to keep your blood pressure in check.
The American Heart Association recommends limiting daily sodium to no more than 15-hundred milligrams. When you consume too much sodium, your body holds extra water to "wash" the salt from your body. This can cause blood pressure to rise.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...