Probiotics, prebiotics for a healthier gut
October 5, 2013 -- It hits tens of millions of people right in the gut, literally. Chronic intestinal distress, like irritable bowel syndrome, can make life miserable, but one doctor says food, instead of pharmaceuticals, could help tame your tummy.
"The intestines are not a sewerage system," said Dr. Gregory Plotnikoff of Penny George Institute for Health and Healing. "They're a garden, and we need to be good gardeners."
Integrative medicine physician Dr. Plotnikoff says what happens in your stomach can impact your entire body.
"Gut health is the foundation for all health. Our gut bacteria regulate our mood, our energy, our immune system, even our metabolism," he said.
Bad gut bacteria leads to, "gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea -- the things that no one wants to talk about," said the doctor.
A gut full of good bacteria, called probiotics, can help prevent those problems.
The doctor says they're like seeds in your gut garden that flourish with the help of prebiotics--a special form of dietary fiber.
"These are like Miracle-Gro for our internal garden. I prescribe foods that are actually going to support the friendly bacteria in our gut," Plotnikoff said.
He says cultured products, like tofu and yogurt, are great for your gut, and so are fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, kefir (fermented milk), and kombucha are a few other fermented foods that stimulate growth of good bacteria.
Asparagus, artichokes, and carrots are packed with prebiotics, in addition to apples and oranges, the doctor said.
Plotnikoff believes these foods are a low-cost, side-effect free alternative to medications for gut problems.
"Don't take my word for it. Trust your gut," he said.
While some, like Doctor Plotnikoff, swear by probiotics and prebiotics, others are skeptical about the benefits. Supplements containing probiotics and prebiotics are not regulated by the FDA.
- 5 kids shot in Greater Grand Crossing drive-by 22 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 29 min ago
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout