Docs encouraged to discuss medical treatment costs
October 16, 2013 (WLS) -- The cost of treatment is one thing doctors don't normally discuss with patients. But that may be changing.
"The New England Journal of Medicine" reports that physicians are being urged to start considering costs as a serious side effect of medical treatment. The article comes from Duke University doctors who are concerned about a high rate of pain in the healthcare wallet.
In 2011, one-third of U.S. families were either struggling to pay or failing to pay their medical bills.
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated 34 min ago
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours 14 min ago
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting 9 min ago
- Libertyville man, 66, claims attack by hospital security
- Indiana soldier among 6 dead in Afghanistan crash 13 min ago
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- 7 in :77
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to...
34 min ago