Docs encouraged to discuss medical treatment costs
October 16, 2013 (WLS) -- The cost of treatment is one thing doctors don't normally discuss with patients. But that may be changing.
"The New England Journal of Medicine" reports that physicians are being urged to start considering costs as a serious side effect of medical treatment. The article comes from Duke University doctors who are concerned about a high rate of pain in the healthcare wallet.
In 2011, one-third of U.S. families were either struggling to pay or failing to pay their medical bills.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault 30 min ago
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire 27 min ago
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 33 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Driver charged with drunken driving at 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand