Boy who can't blink heading to Mayo for treatment
January 3, 2014 (PORTLAND, Ore.) -- He's one of the happiest little guys you'll ever meet despite having some severe health problems, including the inability to blink.
Corban Durant and his family have a big need in the new year. In a few weeks, Corban is flying to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota despite the fact that his family isn't quite sure how they'll pay for his treatment.
Corban loves the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He loves to laugh and sing, even when he forgets the words to his favorite song.
Part of Corban's brain is shrinking, affecting his movement and speech. He doesn't blink. He suffers from neuropathy in his legs. He shouldn't be able to walk, but he does. He also has a heart defect and a liver-lung disorder.
In the first 10 months of his life, he had 86 doctors appointments.
"He has probably about 10 that he sees regularly," said Natasha Durant, mom.
But his specialists in Oregon have no answers. Now, the family is headed to the Mayo Clinic.
"We're really hoping for a diagnosis, an overall diagnosis of his condition, so that we are able to care for him best that we can and help prolong his life and make it full," said Natasha Durant.
The cost? More than $20,000, not covered by the family's insurance. Nearly $10,000 needs to be paid up front.
"We've been trying. We've been doing some small fundraisers. We've been collecting cans and bottles, and we did a car wash this summer," said Natasha Durant.
They've raised $4,000. Regardless, mom says Corban is going to Minnesota.
"We're going because Corban deserves a diagnosis," she said.
You can donate to the Corban Durant Fund at any Wells Fargo Bank branch. Or you donate online at GoFundMe.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 48 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout 52 min ago