FBI digging again for Jimmy Hoffa in Detroit?
September 14, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- FBI agents and Detroit police are using cadaver dogs and heavy equipment to dig up areas around an abandoned lumber yard on the city's west side. Federal officials say the search is being carried out under the terms of a sealed court order.
It appears as though the search may be connected to the long unsolved disappearance and presumed murder of Teamster Union President James Riddle Hoffa who was last seen in 1975 outside "The Red Fox," a suburban Detroit restaurant.
WDIV-TV cites unnamed sources as saying that the search is "in connection with several homicide cases."
When a reporter for WXYZ-TV asked an FBI spokesperson if they were searching for Hoffa, there was a pause and then the answer "no comment." WXYZ is reporting that "a fence was put up over the weekend to try to keep the dig secret. Neighbors even say the feds have been preparing for this search for a couple of weeks."
Contributing to speculation that federal authorities are pursuing a new Hoffa lead is this according to WXYZ: Investigators are carrying white binders that say "Big Dig 2." In 2006, a search for Hoffa at a farm in Milford, Michigan was commonly referred to as the "Big Dig." That extensive excavation resulted in weeks of news coverage, but no Hoffa.
The Detroit Free Press newspaper reports that this federal investigation and dig is taking place on the same day a new book was released on Hoffa's disappearance. The book suggests that Hoffa was killed and cremated at a Detroit cemetery.
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 3 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 46 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 37 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago 38 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 24 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
3 min ago