Emanuel paid heavy price to get elected mayor
October 18, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- As mayor of the city of Chicago, Rahm Emanuel is paid a salary of $216,000 a year. He spent four times that much money just to prove that he was a Chicago resident and therefore entitled to run for office.
The costly proof is just one of the nuggets ABC7 found in the mayor's latest financial records filed with the state.
The court challenge that Emanuel had to overcome was proving that he was indeed a Chicago resident and had been for at least a year as required by law.
Emanuel had held onto his home here in Ravenswood, even though he and his family had moved to Washington where he was President Obama's fiery chief of staff, and the house was leased out.
But Emanuel and his legal team won the case, and Emanuel won the election.
According to expenditure records on file with the state, he paid about $800,000 in legal bills.
The Mayer Brown Law Firm was paid $10,000 in January, $215,000 in March and $200,000 in June and September each time.
Emanuel paid experts from another firm about $100,000.
There are still outstanding legal bills of $74,000.
The law firm expenses are just a fraction of what Emanuel spent overall to get elected. He spent about $13 million, much of it on television ads.
Even though he didn't bring in any new campaign funds the past few months, the mayor's account still showed more than $1.3 million in the latest state records.
Emanuel recouped some of the legal fees, though in donations, from Mayer Brown attorneys.
Since September 2010, firm employees donated a total of almost $70,000 to the Emanuel campaign.
i-team, chuck goudie
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 41 min ago
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River 29 min ago
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home