Former Illinois first lady Mrs. Blagojevich has new job
October 25, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- It has been nearly four months since former governor Rod Blagojevich was convicted of public corruption, including the sale of Barack Obama's Senate seat. In this Intelligence Report: As Blagojevich awaits sentencing, his wife Patti has a new job.
Rod Blagojevich and his family lived comfortably when he was a state representative, then serving in Congress and as governor. But, since Blagojevich was impeached in a pay-to-play scandal and then convicted, he and wife Patti have fallen on hard times. There isn't much call for a governor-felon in need of short-term employment.
So, the breadwinning falls on former first lady Patti Blagojevich, who has a new job.
The website for her new business is adorned with parts of a $100 bill and a 10-spot, made to look like puzzle pieces. Her company, Business Insurance Specialist Inc, advertises employee benefit policies for sale in Illinois and Wisconsin and claims to be backed by an entire team of specialists.
According to the website, the company operates out of the Blagojevich family home in Ravenswood, a house that went on the market a few weeks ago.
Mrs. Blagojevich's website asked prospective clients: "Have you planned for the unexpected?" That is a question the former first family knows well. Since Rod Blagojevich was arrested in December 2008, their fortunes have taken a dive.
Since conviction in June, Rod has become unemployable. Over the past few years, Patti has peddled real estate, raised funds for a non-profit homeless agency and eaten bugs while trying to win a celebrity TV show.
They have hawked personal items on eBay, and autographed Patti Blagojevich photos are on sale right now on the website at $39.95 each, but it isn't clear whether the proceeds from any of these will go to the family.
Included among the dozens of Blagojevich items currently on eBay is a Halloween costume: A latex mask and jailhouse jumper for $46.99. Ball and chain not included.
State records show that Patti Blagojevich obtained various insurance licenses during the past three years and that they are current through 2013.
The I-Team asked Patti Blagojevich who is on her company's team and for details about how the business is doing. She replied with a one-word response via email, a question of her own: "Why?"
i-team, chuck goudie
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Shootings leave 2 dead, several injured 36 min ago
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 41 min ago
- Protesters to march against CPS closings 49 min ago
- Illinois Senate approves medical marijuana bill
- Karen Lewis re-elected head of Chicago Teachers Union
- Winning Mega Millions numbers announced
- CTA: Orange Line service resumes
- 4 men charged with murder of Chicago sailor in Bahamas
- New York City commuter trains collide in Connecticut
- Preckwinkle criticizes, questions CPS closures plan
- 2 rescued from capsized boat in Lake Michigan
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
41 min ago
- ABC7 tests alternate Red Line route
39 min ago