Judge: Hearing reasonable in Cellini mistrial motion
November 23, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Judge James Zagel has issued a four-page ruling in William Cellini's request for a mistrial based on a juror who failed to disclose a felony history.
Cellini is not automatically entitled to a new trial just because one of the jurors who found him guilty failed to disclose she had two felony convictions.
That is the determination of Zagel, who was the trial judge.
Cellini was found guilty on Nov. 1 of conspiring to extort a $1.5 million donation to then Gov. Rod Blagojevich's campaign fund.
After the verdict, Cellini's attorneys learned that a juror, still unnamed, pleaded guilty 10 years ago to possession of crack cocaine and three years ago to aggravated dui.
Calling the juror dishonest, Cellini's lawyers filed a motion for a new trial, contending she was ineligible to sit on a federal jury because she is a convicted felon.
In today's ruling, Zagel disputed that, writing that the juror would have to have "actual bias" shown by cellini's attorneys. At the Dec. 1 hearing, it will be "the defendant's burden to cast sufficient doubt on the juror's impartiality."
Zagel further stated, "A juror offers a bias-free explanation which the courts find credible, such as confusion or embarrassment about admitting to felony convictions before a large audience in open court, then bias cannot be presumed."
i-team, chuck goudie
- Van driver dies in fiery CTA bus crash, ID'd as Eric West, Jr. 47 min ago
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Carla Oglesby, ex-Todd Stroger aide, gets 6.5 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Photos: "That happened how?" Bizarre mix-ups
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- ABC 7 to Go April 23, 2014
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos