Judge: Hearing reasonable in Cellini mistrial motion
November 23, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Judge James Zagel has issued a four-page ruling in William Cellini's request for a mistrial based on a juror who failed to disclose a felony history.
Cellini is not automatically entitled to a new trial just because one of the jurors who found him guilty failed to disclose she had two felony convictions.
That is the determination of Zagel, who was the trial judge.
Cellini was found guilty on Nov. 1 of conspiring to extort a $1.5 million donation to then Gov. Rod Blagojevich's campaign fund.
After the verdict, Cellini's attorneys learned that a juror, still unnamed, pleaded guilty 10 years ago to possession of crack cocaine and three years ago to aggravated dui.
Calling the juror dishonest, Cellini's lawyers filed a motion for a new trial, contending she was ineligible to sit on a federal jury because she is a convicted felon.
In today's ruling, Zagel disputed that, writing that the juror would have to have "actual bias" shown by cellini's attorneys. At the Dec. 1 hearing, it will be "the defendant's burden to cast sufficient doubt on the juror's impartiality."
Zagel further stated, "A juror offers a bias-free explanation which the courts find credible, such as confusion or embarrassment about admitting to felony convictions before a large audience in open court, then bias cannot be presumed."
i-team, chuck goudie
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 1 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court to consider Blagojevich transcripts
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos