Police video shows off G8/NATO summit preps
January 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The start of the two world government summits in Chicago is a little more than four months away. In this Intelligence Report: Evidence that police and protesters are both preparing for the G8 and NATO summits.
The back-to-back G8 summit and NATO meeting has been designated a national security event, which means the Secret Service has overarching jurisdiction.
But much of the street action will be under the command of Chicago Police and Illinois State Police, who have put out some photos showing their preparations.
At a long-closed hotel complex in northwest suburban Arlington Heights, Illinois State Police conducted what they called a large-scale training exercise. The training there, just before Christmas, was by members of the State Weapons of Mass Destruction Team. Video of the secret exercise obtained by the I-Team shows officers moving through drills that included the disarming of multiple improvised explosive devices and arresting the suspects.
In providing details of the training, state police officials specifically cited this May's G8 and NATO summits. The drills also involved officers from the secretary of state's bomb squad, National Guard's Civil Support Team and the Illinois Emergency Management Agency.
Demonstrators are also lining up resources. Anarchist websites and forums and the Facebook pages of protest groups have featured videos that encourage a sizable Chicago turnout.
Video on YouTube solicits protesters to Chicago and asks: "Who is ready to riot?" It features scenes of police columns, clashes with officers and violence in the streets at previous, similar events, with the video suggesting Chicago will be the place to "get some payback." "Ready to rise up?" it asks. "Then join us in May" and "let's rock Chicago."
The G8 summit and NATO meetings overlap in mid-May and take place at McCormick Place, where advance teams are already plotting sight lines for sniper units who will stand guard from above.
State and federal sharpshooters are also scouting rooftop locations at O'Hare, where dignitaries will arrive, and downtown, where they will stay. Teams of marksmen will be in place watching officials come and go from hotels and in motorcades.
i-team, chuck goudie
- Mixed reviews for Red Line Reconstruction rush hour 50 min ago
- School closings march protests CPS consolidations 30 min ago
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Donald Trump plaintiff: Someone must stand up to 'Celebrity... 15 min ago
- Tinley Park man charged with carjacking ex-wife 5 min ago
- Burned body found inside Avondale dumpster
- Man accused of sexually assaulting, abusing teen girls
- Desiree Rogers named chair of Chicago tourism board
- School shooting remembered 25 years later
- Relative of murdered Chicago child fatally shot
- WWI submarine has underwater Lake Michigan grave
- Photos: Eva Longoria on night of wardrobe malfunction
- abcnews: 200-Lbs. Bear Pulled From Colorado Springs... 43 min ago
- Lunch Break
3 min ago
- Mixed reviews for Red Line Reconstruction...
50 min ago
- School closings march protests CPS...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos