Police video shows off G8/NATO summit preps
January 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The start of the two world government summits in Chicago is a little more than four months away. In this Intelligence Report: Evidence that police and protesters are both preparing for the G8 and NATO summits.
The back-to-back G8 summit and NATO meeting has been designated a national security event, which means the Secret Service has overarching jurisdiction.
But much of the street action will be under the command of Chicago Police and Illinois State Police, who have put out some photos showing their preparations.
At a long-closed hotel complex in northwest suburban Arlington Heights, Illinois State Police conducted what they called a large-scale training exercise. The training there, just before Christmas, was by members of the State Weapons of Mass Destruction Team. Video of the secret exercise obtained by the I-Team shows officers moving through drills that included the disarming of multiple improvised explosive devices and arresting the suspects.
In providing details of the training, state police officials specifically cited this May's G8 and NATO summits. The drills also involved officers from the secretary of state's bomb squad, National Guard's Civil Support Team and the Illinois Emergency Management Agency.
Demonstrators are also lining up resources. Anarchist websites and forums and the Facebook pages of protest groups have featured videos that encourage a sizable Chicago turnout.
Video on YouTube solicits protesters to Chicago and asks: "Who is ready to riot?" It features scenes of police columns, clashes with officers and violence in the streets at previous, similar events, with the video suggesting Chicago will be the place to "get some payback." "Ready to rise up?" it asks. "Then join us in May" and "let's rock Chicago."
The G8 summit and NATO meetings overlap in mid-May and take place at McCormick Place, where advance teams are already plotting sight lines for sniper units who will stand guard from above.
State and federal sharpshooters are also scouting rooftop locations at O'Hare, where dignitaries will arrive, and downtown, where they will stay. Teams of marksmen will be in place watching officials come and go from hotels and in motorcades.
i-team, chuck goudie
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 3 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Feds crack down on unsafe busses 7 min ago
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school 1 min ago
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges 16 min ago
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts 14 min ago
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun...
1 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
3 min ago
- Feds crack down on unsafe busses
7 min ago