Tahawwur Rana denied new trial
June 7, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Defendant Tahawwur Hussain Rana was denied his motions for new trial and for judgment of acquittal by District Judge Harry Leinenweber Thursday.Rana was convicted of knowingly conspiring to provide material support to a terrorist conspiracy to maim and murder people in Denmark and of providing material support to the terrorist organization Lashkar-e-Tayyiba. The jury found that no one died as a result of his actions.
Rana was acquitted of conspiring to provide material support to the conspiracies to bomb public places in the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai, India, where 168 people were killed.
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building
- Chicago fast-food workers protest low wages 16 min ago
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 18 min ago
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment
- Richard Gillman gets 4 years in prison, 2 years of probation in... 41 min ago
- 2 sex assault attempts reported in Humboldt Park
- Coyote interrupts morning rush on I-55 46 min ago
- Homeowner tied up during La Grange Park robbery
- 2 men charged with felony mail theft 9 min ago
- Uptown fire forces residents out of apartments 50 min ago
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- 2 men arrested on drug charges
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace...
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
18 min ago
- Coyote interrupts morning rush on I-55
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos