Man charged in murder at Whitehall Hotel on Gold Coast
September 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The ABC7 I-Team has learned that murder charges are being filed in the Whitehall Hotel case.
A 22-year-old Texas woman was shot to death last month inside the Gold Coast boutique hotel. In this Intelligence Report: The accused killer is a parole violator with a long criminal history.
The execution-style killing in the Whitehall Hotel, just off Michigan Avenue, was news around the world. In a summer of violence, the stories reported that murder had finally reached the Magnificent Mile.
Just a day after the high-profile killing, police made an arrest. Now, more than a month later, charges have been filed.
Late Monday afternoon, 28-year-old Lamarcus Washington was charged with first-degree murder by Cook County prosecutors.
The Humboldt Park parolee was taken into custody by Chicago police last month, shortly after 22-year-old Brianna Gardner was found in a seventh floor room at the Whitehall Hotel.
Gardner had been shot in the head.
Detectives say they quickly tracked Washington because his cell phone was left behind in the hotel room. Washington is suspected of having arranged to meet the victim, who had been working as a prostitute.
Authorities say the murder charges were not filed for more than a month because prosecutors were awaiting DNA tests results.
Both the suspect and victim have criminal records.
Washington, a known gang member whose nickname is "Polo," according to police, has a lengthy rap sheet topped by a soliciting prostitution charge last spring. Since he was a teenager, Washington has been charged with burglary, car theft and dealing drugs.
Washington was held for the past month for violating parole on a 2007 drug conviction.
Now, for the first time, he is facing a murder charge.
Washington was the victim's final client. How both of them checked into the swank Whitehall Hall without raising suspicions isn't known, and neither is it known at this point how Washington escaped unseen after police say he shot Gardner in the head.
Gardner will appear in Cook County bond court Tuesday.
i-team, chuck goudie
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit 26 min ago
- Video: Wednesday @ 6AM: Saving on Gas?
- Video: Tonight @ 10 PM: Extreme Bridal Makeovers
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Expanded World News tonight
- Schaumburg couple injured in Oklahoma tornado 44 min ago
- Roseland Hospital to lay off 68 38 min ago
- Old Orchard Mall shooting 'not a random act'
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder 29 min ago
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 3 dolphins pregnant at Brookfield Zoo
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison 20 min ago
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
34 min ago
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006...
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos