Reputed mobster Rudy 'the Chin' Fratto gets 1-year sentence
September 26, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A judge has sentenced reputed Chicago mobster Rudy Fratto to one year and one day in prison.
Fratto, known as "the Chin," pleaded guilty to federal tax evasion after admitting he failed to pay more than $140,000 in federal taxes from 2001 to 2007.
U.S. District Judge Harry Leinenweber could have sentenced Fratto on Wednesday to more than two years.
Evidence included wiretaps where Fratto is heard cursing as he talks about breaking someone's legs. At one point he brags about how "guys" as far away as Cleveland appreciate his influence.
In asking for leniency, the defense cited Fratto's ailing health and remorse.
The Darien man pleaded guilty last year. He must report to prison Jan. 8.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Suspect charged in sexual assault of two children 36 min ago
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home 21 min ago
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced 28 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand