9 charged in NIU coffee fund caper
October 16, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- For months across the Northern Illinois University campus it has been known as the coffee fund controversy. On Tuesday night it officially become a slush fund case.
DeKalb County prosecutors charged eight current Northern Illinois employees and one former NIU employee with brewing up a scheme to steal thousands of dollars from the sale of recycled university property. Authorities contend the nine people operated a secret bank account where the proceeds of scrap metal sales would be stashed and then divvied up. That bank account became known as the "coffee fund" and may have collected more than $13,000 since 2005, according to some sources.
The clandestine account, first under investigation by university officials, became the focus of DeKalb County State's Attorney Clay Campbell earlier this year. According to court records, charged on Tuesday were: Robert Albanese, Michael Hall, Lawrence Murray, Susan Zahm, Kenneth Pugh, Keenon Darlinger, Mark Beaird, Joseph Alberti and Keith Jackson. Eight of those charged are current NIU employees . They are charged variously with theft, official misconduct, obstruction of justice and other violations.
The Northern Star student newspaper reports that while warrants have been issued, as of Tuesday evening no arrests had been made. The Star quotes campus police as saying that that "everyone who has been charged has been contacted, with the exception of Alberti."
i-team, chuck goudie
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain 51 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 52 min ago
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia 55 min ago
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
52 min ago
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing...
51 min ago