Could the Wisconsin spa shooting have been prevented?
October 22, 2012 (BROOKFIELD, Wis.) (WLS) -- Could the salon attack have been prevented? There were years of contacts between the shooter and local police.
There were numerous flags raised in the case of Radcliffe and Zina Haughton. There were domestic violence allegations against him going back to 2003 in Milwaukee and Waukesha counties. The allegations involved threats and weapons, police and prosecutors from several agencies for almost a decade -- red flags until the very end.
There was no comment Sunday night from Brookfield's police chief to the question: Did Zina Haughton, the shooter's estranged wife, express concerns to police about her safety?
The Brookfield police interviewed Haughton two weeks ago after her estranged husband was in the salon parking lot slashing her tires.
"My husband thinks I am cheating on him," a note from Zina Haughton said. "He has cheated on me for twelve years... He threatened to throw acid in my face. His threats terrorize me every waking moment.
"He attacked me last week. He said he would kill me if I left him or ever contacted the police."
Even though police agencies, prosecutors and judges were familiar with Radcliffe Haughton's domestic abuse, last Thursday when he was ordered to stay away from his wife and turn in his gun, it was on the honor system. Haughton was known to own guns. Authorities in Wisconsin do not search for and seize guns under protective orders. Here in Illinois, they are pursued more aggressively, according to domestic violence experts and police. Domestic protection orders here are entered into a state police database obtainable by law enforcement so officers may retrieve guns instead of waiting for them to be turned in.
Two Wisconsin state lawmakers say they will reintroduce a bill that would ensure domestic violence suspects comply with judges' orders to surrender their weapons.
i-team, chuck goudie
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking