Intelligence Report: Countdown to Vote Count
November 5, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- In this Intelligence Report: The countdown to the votes being counted and what the next 24 hours will hold.
There were still lines of people waiting to vote early in several states Monday evening, even though early voting in Illinois wrapped up on Saturday. There was still early voting under way in Iowa, Ohio, and several counties in Florida wrapped up in the late afternoon.
So, these record numbers are likely to increase: More than 30 million early votes cast already, before Election Day. That is going to end up being 35 to 40 percent of the vote total for Election 2012.
And, despite what you may have heard, not a single one of those early votes has been counted yet. By law, the ballots, all of them, are counted once the polls close.
In Illinois, that will be about a fifth of all votes -- with record numbers -- more than 500,000 early ballots cast in Chicago and Cook County.
The DuPage County early voting is down slightly.
The state total: A little more than 900,000 early votes.
What does that mean for the presidential race? Both sides agree on this: Turnout Tuesday is the key, regardless of how they have done in the early vote.
Many experts see six key states Tuesday, among them Colorado, unique because there are now more Republicans registered than Democrats, a reversal of 2008 when President Obama won.
In Iowa, 40,000 Democrats and 21,000 Republicans haven't returned their mail ballots.
Then there is Ohio, where voters don't have to register by party, that may end up determining the outcome of the presidential election.
i-team, chuck goudie
- Chicago Weather: Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 20 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square 21 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 50 min ago
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover 11 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
50 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
21 min ago
- Ugly Christmas sweater store pops up in...
19 min ago
- Chicago artist created pope's image for...
11 min ago