I-Team: How George Ryan bypassed the halfway house
January 30, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Some may be tempted to believe that former Illinois Governor George Ryan finagled a prison-system perk and managed to get around staying in a Chicago halfway house.
Ryan is not the first politician to bypass a stay in a halfway house but it appears that is was more of a procedural action.
Ryan, 78, would need few if any of the house's services offered to ex-cons transitioning back to society.
When he arrived at near West Side house first thing Wednesday morning, Ryan hadn't brought a toothbrush.
He knew that he wasn't going to be staying at the Salvation Army facility; and wouldn't spend even one night there, according to federal authorities.
During his finals weeks in the Terre Haute, Ind. penitentiary, Ryan was informed that he was going to bypass a halfway house assignment and be allowed home confinement.
The U.S. Bureau of Prisons has that discretion and has several criteria for whether a released inmate should be allowed to stay clear of a halfway house.
Age and health, financial and family support, home stability and post-prison job needs are among the concerns.
Clearly Ryan fits the requirements, the taxpayers save money and a spot in the halfway house is opened up for somebody who needs it more.
iteam, chuck goudie
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 25 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 32 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 22 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 43 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 41 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
22 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
25 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
32 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
28 min ago
George Ryan Archives
- 04/07/98: I-Team's investigation leads to Ryan demise
- 12/17/03: Ex. Gov. Ryan indicted on federal charges
- 12/17/03: 6 kids killed in crash that led to license-for-bribes scandal
- 09/29/05: I-Team Report: The Road to Ryan
- 4/17/06: Ryan guilty on all counts
- 9/6/06: Ex. Gov. Ryan gets 6 years in prison
- 11/7/07: Ryan arrives at prison camp
- 12/21/10: Ryan apologizes
- 6/29/11: Ex-Gov. Ryan at Lura Lynn's death bed
- 01/30/13: Ryan leaves prison, on home confinement in Kankakee