Cartel kingpin 'El Chapo' Chicago's new Public Enemy No. 1
February 14, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- One of Mexico's most ruthless drug lords has been named Chicago's public enemy number one.
- I-TEAM 2011 REPORT: DEA pressing Mexican cartels after deadly attack
- PHOTOS: Mexican drug lords' gritty nicknames
He is Joaquin Guzman, known as "El Chapo".
Guzman is only the second criminal ever to be branded as Chicago's top public enemy. Al Capone is the only other criminal to ever be graced with that title.
Guzman's nickname "El Chapo" translates to "Shorty".
He's only 5 foot 6 inches tall but as head of the Sinaloa cartel, he towers over a Mexican drug empire.
Federal investigators say that is the organization that has enlisted 100,000 Chicago street gang members to deal it's drugs on the street.
With those credentials the Chicago Crime Commission and the Drug Enforcement Administration have made "El Chapo" public enemy number one.
"Because of the viciousness and because of the evil and because of the power of this man," Chicago Crime Commission Executive Vice President Arthur Bilek said. "He is clearly more dangerous than Al Capone was at his height."
Guzman is already facing federal drug indictments here in Chicago and is estimated to oversee a cocaine and heroin business worth $1 billion.
Arresting him is another matter, in 2001 Guzman escaped prison in a laundry cart.
Guzman has said he wants the head of Chicago's top federal drug agent Jack Riley who has made it his life's mission see the drug lord prosecuted in Chicago.
"In the next couple of weeks I'm proud to say you're going to see us swing the bat for the first time with the strike force and I think that will have a long-lasting effect really in the crime we're dealing with," Riley said.
The strike force of local and federal law enforcement is aiming at what the DEA calls "choke points", where operatives from the Mexican cartels and Chicago gang distributors exchange drugs for cash.
iteam, chuck goudie
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 3 min ago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting 58 min ago
- Report: CPS headquarters could move 42 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 8 min ago
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor 23 min ago
- 7 in :77