Pope Francis soft-spoken, popular favorite
March 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Many Roman Catholics have never heard of the man who Wednesday became Pope Francis and details of the new pope's life in Argentina are now emerging.
The only thing more surprising than Cardinal Bergolio's election as pope is that he wasn't high on most mainstream media lists of papal candidates.
For more than ten years toiling in the Catholic Church's most populated region of Latin America, the soft spoken archbishop was a popular favorite of his fellow cardinals. His stars had been aligning for a long time and on Wednesday they resulted in his papacy.
Cardinal Bergoglio brings together two worlds important to the Roman Catholic Church: Argentina, in a Latin America that has more than half of the globe's Catholic population; and Italy, which is in his personal DNA.
In an institution that has never had a leader from outside Europe, even though Bergoglio is from outside Europe, his bloodline has Europe well represented.
But the new pope is far from Euro-minded. He has lived a humble lifestyle; even as a cardinal, taking public transportation here in Buenos Aires and cooking his own meals.
He was trained as a chemist before becoming a priest. Mostly he is described as soft-spoken and humble.
Because of that, when he does speak people pay attention, but don't always follow.
Over Cardinal Bergoglio's fierce and public campaign against gay marriage, Argentina became the first Latin American nation to legalize it.
One cardinal who may have had some influence on Wednesdy's vote actually died last summer. Italian Cardinal Carlo Martini, highly thought of by his colleagues, endorsed Bergoglio for pope even the last time around. Cardinal Martini was also a Jesuit and his views may have carried some weight even in death.
iteam, chuck goudie
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 7 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 2 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 50 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 41 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago 42 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 28 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
7 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
2 min ago