I-Team: Illinois, Indiana in middle of gun control issue
March 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- More than 100 days since the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, a nationwide media blitz is underway aimed at getting federal gun laws changed.
And Illinois and Indiana are in the middle of the unending controversy.
A commercial has started running in 13 states including Indiana.
It is part of $12 million in televison ad time bought by NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg to pressure senators from those states into backing federal gun control legislation.
When Congress comes back from its spring break, it will take up a bill that calls for expanded background checks, tougher sentences for gun trafficking and more funding for school safety.
However, the legislation would not ban assault-style weapons even though the White House still wants lawmakers to vote on that issue.
"Are they willing to demonstrate the political courage to take the kind of step that we know would have a significant impact on getting military style weapons off the streets of communities all across America?" White House Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest said.
The campaign for background checks is backed by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a group the includes Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and a dozen other Illinois mayors.
According to the group's own research, Illinois is among the worst states when it comes a gun buyer background checks using an incomplete database that fails to block gun sales to some buyers with mental problems.
On Thursday the Mayors Against Illegal Guns group will participate in 100 events across the country, asking for what they call common sense gun laws.
One of the rallies will be in Gary, Indiana as Indiana continues to be a state whose U.S. senators are being targeted by the Bloomberg televison ads.
iteam, chuck goudie
- Dangerous cold for Bears game 36 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Rod Blagojevich arrest 5th anniversary: a look back
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Chicago teachers rally for education issues
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway 4 min ago
- Heisman Trophy 2013 Finalists: Jameis Winston, NIU's Jordan...
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Eataly Chicago closes for day- one week after opening
- Rich Williamson of Ill. GOP dies at 64
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913 41 min ago
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
36 min ago
- SNAP: Reaction to Lakeview priest...
44 min ago