I-Team: FBI intercepts Indiana, Illinois bank robberies on same day
May 10, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- What are the chances that two banks- one in Indiana, the other in Illinois -would both be under FBI surveillance when they're robbed on the same day? Federal officials call it a coincidence.
Surveillance teams were ready to roll when the suspects walked into two different banks on Friday, the most popular day for bank robberies. Both incidents led to a shootout with suspects.
The FBI intercepted alleged bank robbers in Richmond, Ill., before they got inside Associated Bank. At that same time 253 miles away in Plainfield, Indiana, the FBI intercepted bank robbers leaving the State Bank of Litzon. In both robberies, federal agents shot and killed one of the suspects. Despite the commonality, FBI officials said the robberies and the fatal conclusions were just coincidental.
An FBI map pinpointing bank robberies in the Midwest show what federal authorities are up against: More than 50 robberies in Chicago, and a sharp increase in bank heists in Indianapolis.
Authorities say many of the robberies are carried out by serial bank robbers, which allows federal agents to put surveillance teams on both suspects and potential targets. That paid off Friday.
The arrest of Jeremy Evans of Carol Stream is one example of the FBI's strategy. Known as the Ray Bandit because he favored Ray Ban sunglasses during his bank jobs, Evans allegedly held up 17 banks in Indiana, northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. The FBI says Evans also robbed banks in Iowa, Nebraska and California.
Evans is being held without bond at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Chicago.
The most recent annual FBI data shows that there were more than 5,000 bank robberies across the country and that more than $38 million was stolen. Despite all the security alarms, surveillance cameras and sometimes armed guards, most of the stolen cash is not recovered. Of the $38 million, the FBI found only $8 million.
iteam, chuck goudie
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 27 min ago
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood 18 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 17 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks 17 min ago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- CPS to convert Logan Square school into military academy 3 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 44 min ago
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
27 min ago
- CPS to convert Logan Square school into...
3 min ago