Amer Ahmad's co-defendant Mohammed Alo pleads guilty in Ohio bribery case
December 20, 2013 (WLS) -- The ABC7 I-Team has learned of a major legal blow to Mayor Rahm Emanuel's former fiscal chief. Ex-city comptroller Amer Ahmad is under indictment in an Ohio bribery and corruption case.
Mayor Emanuel's once-trusted fiscal advisor, the city comptroller Amer Ahmad, is against the ropes in the federal corruption case against him. On Friday afternoon, co-defendant Mohammed Alo pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate in the multi-million dollar bribery and money laundering case.
That means all three of Ahmad's co-defendants have flipped and he is the last man standing.
In Columbus, Ohio on Friday, 35-year-old Mohammed Nore Alo-- an immigration attorney-- pleaded guilty for his role in the corruption scheme. Alo will testify against co-defendant Amer Ahmad, Mayor Rahm Emanuel's former city comptroller. Ahmad was indicted on charges of conspiracy, wire fraud and bribery in Ohio, where he went to work after abruptly leaving Chicago three years ago.
He was serving as Ohio's deputy treasurer when authorities say he and three others were in cahoots to shake down the state in an investment kickback scheme.
In the plea agreement signed Friday and obtained by the I-Team, Alo admits aiding and abetting honest services wire fraud.
He also pleaded guilty to conspiring with Amer Ahmad and two others, rigging investments on behalf of the Ohio treasurer and that they obtained illegally nearly $5 million.
Mr. Ahmad has pleaded not guilty and still has a trial date of March 3 in Ohio. But with all three of his co-defendants lined up to testify against him in a case that has serious jail time, it would not be surprising if the government approaches Ahmad to cut a plea deal himself in exchange for less time. The I-Team asked Ahmad's attorneys whether they would consider that, and hasn't received an answer.
iteam, chuck goudie
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 1 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 40 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 31 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago 32 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 18 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
59 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
1 min ago