Search for missing police dog turns up Bart
February 21, 2006 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Bart, the missing Chicago police dog, is back with his partner. The K-9 cop was discovered missing Monday. Bart was reunited with his fellow officer late Tuesday afternoon.
Bart and his handler David Dorken couldn't be happier. He is thankful to the media for getting the word out.
Bart is the 4-year-old German Shepherd who escaped from officer Dorken's yard Monday morning. A man found Bart, took him in and recognized him from the media reports. He called the officer and said he had found the dog and he was safe. The man dropped Bart off at 87th and Roberts Road in Justice, where they met the officer.
Police dogs stay at the homes of their handlers, so Bart is not only a trained narcotics dog, but also officer Dorken's family pet and they are all relieved to have him back.
"They are going nuts at home. They can't wait until I get there. But we made arrangements, I met him as quick I could. I was at a gas station at 87th and Roberts Road and we were reunited again," Dorken said.
The Anti-Cruelty Society had put up a $1,000 reward for information to help find Bart. The man who found him said he is not interested in the reward. He said he just cares about animals and was glad to see him reunited with his owner.
Dogs like Bart are not cheap. They cost $4,000 to buy. There are 14 weeks of training for the officer and dog, so the department has a lot invested in these animals.
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject 32 min ago
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time'
- 'Frozen' takes top box office spot with $31.6M
- abcnews: Student Fatally Shot by Campus Police 51 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Bears fans warned about dangerous game...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos