Lawsuit filed in case of off-duty officer shooting
April 10, 2006 (WLS) -- The families of two men who were killed on the Northwest Side last week are suing the off-duty police officer who shot them.
On Friday, Kenny Elrod and Demitri Cantera were in a vehicle at Belmont and Kilpatrick. They were sitting at a light next to an off-duty police officer in a hummer. Investigators say both men pointed guns at the officer. the officer then opened fire, killing them. Police say his life was in danger.
The victims' families don't agree.
"The City of Chicago was so quick to determine this is a justified shooting, but there are a lot of things that do not smell right in this case," said Greg Kulis, families' attorney.
Investigators are looking into whether an alleged confrontation between the three men at a bar earlier that evening triggered the shooting.
- Metra train fatally hits man on NW Side 7 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 24 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 41 min ago
- Ill. communities spurring renewable energy 13 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Opening statements begin in general's sex trial 26 min ago
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 20 min ago
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant 10 min ago
- 7 in :77