Lawsuit filed in case of off-duty officer shooting
April 10, 2006 (WLS) -- The families of two men who were killed on the Northwest Side last week are suing the off-duty police officer who shot them.
On Friday, Kenny Elrod and Demitri Cantera were in a vehicle at Belmont and Kilpatrick. They were sitting at a light next to an off-duty police officer in a hummer. Investigators say both men pointed guns at the officer. the officer then opened fire, killing them. Police say his life was in danger.
The victims' families don't agree.
"The City of Chicago was so quick to determine this is a justified shooting, but there are a lot of things that do not smell right in this case," said Greg Kulis, families' attorney.
Investigators are looking into whether an alleged confrontation between the three men at a bar earlier that evening triggered the shooting.
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death 7 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster
- Murder trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 death 19 min ago
- CTA robberies reported at Loop train stations
- 2 charged in Markham man's murder
- 3 vehicles involved in Oswego head-on collision 30 min ago
- Wife douses husband with beer after Wrigley home run
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
- 7 in :77
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos