Boy falsely accused of murder at 7 arrested in double shooting
June 17, 2006 (Last Updated: 5:28 PM) (WLS) -- Murder charges are pending against a 15-year-old boy in south suburban Calumet Park. His age alone makes the case unsettling, but what also adds to this case is the young man's past. The teen was one of the two boys wrongly accused in the murder of 11-year-old Ryan Harris back in 1998.
No charges have yet been filed against the 15-year-old in this double shooting. When he was 7 years old, the boy was wrongly accused in the murder of Ryan Harris. As for his 18-year-old half-brother, he remains in police custody as well in Calumet Park.
Police say they are very slow to bring these charges as they continue to investigate, because they say they want to charge the right person with the right crime.
The shooting took place Wednesday during the day at a Citgo gas station when the two individuals allegedly came up on two men sitting in a white car at one of the pumps. They shot them multiple times with what police called .9mm weapons. One individual remains on life support, one was grazed in the leg.
This 15-year-old was charged when he was 7 along with an 8-year-old friend with the murder of Ryan Harris. Eventually, those charges were dropped after convicted felon Floyd Durr admitted he committed the crime.
Police also add that during surveillance video from the gas station that that they have seen this 15-year-old on tape. But at the same time, because of the 15-year-old's previous experience with police, they are trying to tread lightly.
"That has something to do with it. But at the same token, this is a totally different case than anything the 15-year-old or 18-year-old had to do with prior. The investigation is still pending. We have several witnesses we need to contact and talk to. We're still dealing with the issue of one of the victims on the life support system and we want to make sure that when we charge somebody, it's going to be with the correct charges," said Cmdr. Mel Davis, Calumet Park Police.
The 15-year-old's family did settle out of court with the City of Chicago for roughly $2 million. At this hour, the 15-year-old remains in a juvenile detention center in Chicago.
We are told by investigators that the 15-year-old and his older half-brother were apprehended around 2 a.m. Thursday morning. So far, the 15-year-old has not given a statement but was questioned for about two hours with his mother present.
Police said that formal charges could come as early as Sunday.
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap