Extreme Makeover Home Edition comes to Chicago
October 31, 2006 (WLS) -- A West Side family that is known for its contributions to the community is now getting some help from ABC's Extreme Makeover Home Edition.
The production crew for Home Makeover arrived Tuesday morning to surprise the family. They were one of five Chicago area families in the running for a home makeover.
"I can't believe it. I don't remember anything after that. I just remember crying," said Melinda Noyola, Mother.
ABC chose the Noyola family because Geno, a recovering drug addict, turned his life around to become an active community member. He, along with his wife and six children, volunteer for several organizations that campaign to keep kids off the streets.
"They hugged us and hugged each other. Everyone was crying and sort of like a sigh of relief that we were here to help," said Paige Hemmis, Designer.
The family bought the home about three months ago, but it is uninhabitable. The home has no working bathrooms, is infected with rodents and has some structural decay.
Construction begins Thursday at the Noyola family's home and will take five days. More than 500 construction workers will work on the home. The production crew is working with a local builder on the project.
"All of the labor is going to be done by union workmen, union subcontractors. They are donated their times and services," said Jeff Jozwiak, Co-owner, Norcon Inc.
The design team plans to keep the structure of the house and rebuild the inside.
While crews work on the home, the Noyolas will go to Walt Disney World for a week-long vacation.
Extreme Makeover Home Edition airs Sunday nights at 7 p.m. on ABC7.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking