Slain Chicago police officer mourned
February 16, 2007 (WLS) -- A Chicago police officer was laid to rest Friday morning. Hundreds of people -- from family and friends to fellow officers -- attended the funeral of Police Officer Jose Vazquez.
Vazquez, 34, was shot to death outside his West Side home early Monday morning. The 8-year veteran was not on duty at the time. Officials believe he was the victim of a robbery.
"There is property missing from him so that appears to be a motive, but we're not ruling anything out. We need a tip from the public that hopefully will solve it for us," said Supt. Phil Cline, Chicago Police Department.
Officer Vazquez, who was married and one of six siblings, was assigned to Chicago's Special Operations Unit.
"He was the sweetest person you could ever find in this world. He would take his shirt off for you. He would do anything for anybody. Whether you were a homeless person, a rich person, he would look after you. His dream was to protect people," said Esteban Burgoa, friend
The search for Vazquez's murderer is ongoing. A $26,000 reward has been offered in the case.
"We're asking for anyone with information to call 311 or call the area for detectives or Crimestoppers. We need that one tip that will help us out in this case," said Supt. Cline.
- ON DEMAND: ABC 7 Chicago's 'Heart and Soul'
- Man dies after Evanston shooting, car crash
- Young singer with autism releases inspirational song
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Oklahoma earthquake rattles state at magnitude 4.5 49 min ago
- Stranded hiker rescued from Tenn. waterfall ledge 49 min ago
- Kennedy Center Honors for Joel, MacLaine, Santana, Hancock,... 57 min ago
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport 44 min ago