14-year-old shot to death in fight after a party
February 24, 2007 (WLS) -- Darius Mitchem is being remembered as a nice person, a good student, and captain of the Holy Angels school basketball team.
Witnesses say he was at a South Side party early this morning when some other teens began quarreling, and one of them pulled a gun.
"First, he was shooting in the air. And then he saw everybody running when he was shooting in the air. So he started shooting at the crowd," said witness Angela Butler. "Two different sides was fighting. But, he didn't have anything to do with it. He was just running, and got shot."
Mitchem was to have played in an all-star basketball game next week, and planned to attend De La Salle High School this fall.
No one has been charged with the shooting.
- Blackhawks beat Bruins 6-5 in Game 4 OT, tie series 2-2
- 9 students hospitalized after pepper spray accident
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges structurally deficient
- Skokie mosquito tests positive for West Nile virus
- Red Line reconstruction project on time, within budget
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- Long lines for Cook County flood assistance
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit