Off-duty officer shot in apparent murder, suicide
April 2, 2007 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The daughter of a prominent Chicago minister is believed to be the victim in a murder suicide.
Police found 27-year-old Kleo Barrett, a Cook County sheriff's deputy, and her boyfriend, 31-year-old Adetokunbo Ashye, dead in Ashye's South Shore apartment early Monday morning. Both died from gunshot wounds.
Barrett's father, Reverend TL Barrett, Junior, who has been the pastor of the Life Center Church of God in Christ, located at 55th and Indiana, for almost 20 years, said he was surprised she was at Ashye's home. He said he was under the impression the two had broken up.
"The car was parked askew, indicating she was just going to be there a minute. Obviously he asked her to up there or something," said Pastor T.L. Barrett, victim's father.
Police are calling the deaths homicides, but the coroner report indicates a case of murder, suicide.
"I have known this guy over 20 years and I couldn't see anything hang like that," said Marcuy Davenport, friend of Ashye.
"I never noticed anything. I didn't hear no fighting, no shut up, none of that," said Aliyah Shields, Ashye's neighbor. "No gunshots."
Police did not say if a weapon was found at the scene.
Barrett worked as a Cook County Sheriff's Department, which issued a statement: "& She was always hard working in her duties. She was known as a family-oriented woman. We grieve her loss."
"She was doing well. She was moving forward, really reaching and attaining. That is why we are so proud of all she has done," said Dr. Wynetta Fraiser, family friend.
"I have three children, but she was like my first baby. She was an incredible human being," said Keisha Barrett, victim's sister.
The church plans to celebrate her life on Wednesday. Funeral arrangements are currently in the works.
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated 22 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- CTA Blue Line train service resumes
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
19 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to...
22 min ago