Winfrey attends Chicago premiere of 'The Color Purple'
May 3, 2007 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Oprah Winfrey is painting the town purple. She attended the Chicago premiere of "The Color Purple" Thursday night. The musical is at the Cadillac Palace Theater.
Winfrey starred in the movie "The Color Purple" 21 years ago. She tells ABC7 that when the movie came out, her name was not even on the poster. Now it's a totally different situation. Oprah Winfrey's name is in lights as she presents "The Color Purple."
Chicago's superstar, Oprah Winfrey, shined in Chicago Thursday night.
"It's like coming home, coming home in a big way," said Winfrey, stepping out on the red carpet at the Cadillac Palace Theater, 151 W. Randolph, to see her production of The Color Purple.
Red Carpet Arrivals: Oprah, Daleys, Eberts and R. Kelly
"It brought the most powerful experiences of my life to be a part of that movie. The work, the artistry has followed me through my years. It's been a part of my life, The Color Purple," Winfrey said.
It's like Hollywood, the fans, cameras and the limo lineup. But Thursday night is the who's who of Chicago.
"I think Oprah is so talented. This is just one of her many talents," said Maggie Daley.
"Theatergoers in Chicago and the Midwest, they love theater, and this is an example of what we did, rebuilding the theaters downtown," said Mayor Richard M. Daley.
The Rev. Jesse Jackson is hitting the town, and Roger Ebert is out and about again, seeing the musical for the first time.
"To see anything but a hospital bed is terrific," said Chaz Ebert, Roger's wife.
R. Kelly said Thursday night was his seventh time to see the musical.
"It really inspired me to be who I am today. I have to check it out...again," said Kelly.
Whatever the reason, they all came out Thursday, and Oprah says she would like others to follow.
"It's for everybody. It's for every economic group. It's for all genders. Women love it; it's a revival in there for the women," said Winfrey, who added she has seen the production 12 times.
- Evanston school takes action after reports of 'sexting' 12 min ago
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015 37 min ago
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son 38 min ago
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say 40 min ago
- Slide tips over, injures 6 Algonquin Lakes students
- Monk accused in Antioch child luring out on bond 3 min ago
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- Penny Pritzker questioned at Senate confirmation hearing
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
21 min ago
- Volunteers finish playground in 1 day for...
41 min ago
- Trump trumps grandmother in legal battle
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos