Body found at West Side construction site
May 11, 2007 (WLS) -- A disturbing discovery was made at a construction site Friday on the city's West Side. Contractors clearing the area find a human body.
The Cook County medical examiner is now trying to identify the victim. The body was found in a home in the same neighborhood where a 14-year-old girl disappeared earlier this week on her way to school.
The unidentified body was removed from 800 N. Homan on the city's West Side.
It is still early in this investigation. So far, police have not said whether or not the body belongs to 14-year-old Tashema Nero, who was reported missing earlier this week. Her family members visited Area 4 police headquarters Friday afternoon to meet with detectives.
Nero had been missing since Wednesday. Friends and family put out fliers around the neighborhood. She was last seen on her way to school.
At about 8:30 Friday morning, a demolition crew was tearing down a house on North Homan that had caught fire last week. As they were demolishing the home, workers discovered the body buried underneath a pile of debris. They called police and investigators showed up and removed the human remains.
ABC7 spoke with a worker who discovered the body.
"We noticed a leg as we were loading the debris out, so we put the debris to the side, called the police, and the police came, and determined it was a girl that was wrapped up in some kind of clothing or something," said Coleman McDonough, demolition worker.
Police are trying to determine if that body belongs to the 14-year-old girl. The medical examiner's office has not released the identity. Police will only say this remains under investigation.
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- Carly Rousso trial date set for fatal DUI crash 46 min ago
- Quarry to resume operations following McCook earthquake 22 min ago
- Chicago River to be dyed green this weekend despite ice
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Political consultant hit by falling ice 8 min ago
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death