Man charged in death of police officer
July 14, 2007 (WLS) -- Prosecutors have charged a man in a crash that killed an off-duty Chicago police officer.
An off-duty Chicago police officer was struck and killed late Friday night while riding his motorcycle.
The crash happened just before midnight at the intersection of 31st Street and Ashland.
Police say Wayne Smith was traveling south on Ashland when an SUV going in the opposite direction made a left turn onto 31st and struck Smith. Police say the driver ran away from the scene, but was arrested a short time later.
Prosecutors have charged the SUV's driver, 22-year old Manuel Puga, with reckless homicide and aggravated driving under the influence.
Smith's wife remembers her husband as a family man who loved his children.
"Wayne was a loving and devoted dad there was nothing that he didn't do for them. He loved them. He loved opening the door and them running up to the door screaming, 'Dad, dad.' I think that made his day after the long hours on the job," said Toria Rivers-Smith.
Smith was an 11-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department who worked in the narcotics division.
- Police chase in Lincoln Park may have hurt officer 9 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
39 min ago