City urges gun owners to turn in their weapons
July 17, 2007 (WLS) -- Mayor Daley is urging gun owners to turn in their weapons this weekend.
The city's holding the third gun turn-in event at 23 different locations around Chicago, this Saturday, July 21.
People who give up their guns will get a pre-paid debit card worth $100. No questions asked.
Joining the mayor today were community leaders and Ronald Holt, the father of 16-year-old Blair Holt who was shot and killed on a CTA bus in May.
"I stand here symbolically in the gap for all the children who have lost children to gun violence," Holt says. "After losing Blair, I am here to say, ladies and gentlemen, this is not a joke."
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978 10 min ago
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Photos: "That happened how?" Bizarre mix-ups
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos