CTA worker charged with stealing riders' credit info
October 22, 2007 (WLS) -- A Chicago Transit Authority employee has been charged with identity theft.
Miranda Smith allegedly stole credit card numbers of CTA riders. The CTA said it plans to fire Smith, who is a customer service representative..
CTA authorities say she lifted credit card numbers of customers who pay for their monthly fare cards with credit cards. They believe she and two other people, who were also arrested, used the numbers to buy personal items.
She's handled the accounts of almost 400 riders. The CTA will notify those people and offer them free credit monitoring service for one year.
Smith is being held on $50,000 bond.
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Controversial 'Pure American' billboard removed 30 min ago
- Unclaimed items auctioned off by treasurer's office
- Gary Bettenhausen, race car driver, dead at 72 50 min ago
- Kevin Trudeau to be sentenced in federal court
- Train incident stops Metra at Grayslake during morning commute
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
- Riverdale body ID'd as Amierah Roberson, 1,...
8 min ago