Public defender's secretary charged after pot delivered to Loop office
November 28, 2007 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A receptionist in the Cook County public defender's office is charged after allegedly using the mail to ship marijuana to her office at 69 W. Washington.
As the Cook County public defender's office prepared to close Tuesday afternoon, a delivery came for the receptionist on the fifteenth floor, according to a Cook County assistant state's attorney. In the package, she said, was about 40 lbs. of pot.
Lamour Holloway was arrested Tuesday after two children went to the alley where, prosecutors say, her husband was waiting in a car. Holloway has been an employee for the Cook County public defender for 11 years.
On Wednesday, she appeared in court via video monitor and was represented by a public defender.
The assistant state's attorney told the judge that the U.S. postal service identified the package as suspicious, called police, got a search warrant, then followed the delivery to the public defender's office.
Cook County public defender Ed Burnette said "she is a good employee and a good person. This is not the kind of thing you'd think she'd be involved with.
"We more than anyone else believe there is a presumption of innocence," said Burnette.
Holloway is married to a minister and has two children. Now she faces a felony, which if convicted, carries a possible sentence of four to 15 years.
The public defender says Holloway will remain at the office as she goes through the legal process, but she will be moved to a non public position. Holloway goes back to court on December 18th.
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train 40 min ago
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event 42 min ago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing...
4 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
3 min ago
- Rare Tea Cellar stocks one-of-a-kind products
13 min ago