Owner shot dead at Edgewater store
CHICAGO, IL (WLS) -- A convenience store owner is dead after a North Side shooting.
The shooting happened shortly after 11 a.m. Firday at the Edgewater Mini Mart near Devon and Sheridan. Owner Kaycee Fadiya stumbled from his store and collapsed on the sidewalk.
The masked suspect allegedly walked into the store at 1215 W. Devon and opened fire, killing Fadiya. Police say they believe robbery was not a motive for the shooting.
There was a customer and the owner inside when the gunman walked in. Police have talked to the customer, taken her down to the station and since released her.
Afterward, t suspect ran out, leaving a trail of blood as he ran north down Magnolia Street.
Those who know Fadiya say they are still trying to determine why someone would shoot him.
"He was really nice, polite, everybody that came to his store, he greeted them like they were special," said Sandra Avila.
Family friend Calvin Davis said the owner's brother was devastated. Police have interviewed the brother.
According to a witness, the suspect is six feet tall, wearing a black leather jacket and gray pants. As he was leaving the store, he apparently stopped to look at the victim before running off.
A business on the same block had a surveillance camera running and apparently captured pictures of the suspect entering and leaving the store. Police say they have not yet been able to determine whether those pictures will be helpful in their investigation.
The shooting has other store owners in the area worried.
"The cafe next door is open at that time, and, you know, some of my friends come around at that time too," said neighboring businessman Ahmed Salim. "i mean, a scary thing, once again, steps away from a major university in Chicago. This should not be happening."
local, john garcia
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates