Police: Remains appear to be white female
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Police are investigating the discovery of human remains in a field in the 3800 block of West 34th.
Investigators are searching an open field alongside the Chicago River where the badly decomposed human remains were discovered earlier Friday. The remains were frozen to the ground in a field about 100 feet from a set of train tracks.Chicago police Sergeant Eugene Mullins says the remains appear to be those of a white female. The female appeared to have light colored red or blonde hair, said police spokeswoman Monique Bond. There has been no report on the victim's age. An environmental inspector found the remains and called Chicago police. Police in west suburban Lyons say a village of Lyons environmental inspector was performing duties near the Chicago River when he discovered what he believes is a human foot and leg. The inspector also reported seeing a blue garbage can near the area. "It was fairly intact, and it was covered with snow. He didn't want to disturb it of course, so thats when he called 911," said Roy Witherow, Lyons Village Manager. "He stated about 25 feet from the body there was a blue plastic container of some sort that was mostly covered in snow." "The inspector performs tests at these sites and determines if the construction material is suitable 'fill' for the Lyons Quarry Reclamation project that is currently in full operation," police said. Chicago police did not find the blue garbage can, Bond said. "CPD did not discover any blue container on the scene," she said. Police suspended their search after dark Friday. They are calling this a death investigation at this point. The Cook County medical examiner's office planned an autopsy on the remains Saturday morning, a spokesman said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- Woman killed, 4 critically injured in Far South Side crash
- Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago derails
- Quinn, parents of Newtown victims, speak on gun control
- Toddler found alone on West Side reunited with parents
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap
- 12 arrested after rowdiness reports near Michigan Avenue
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos