Rainbow PUSH sponsors college tour
One hundred twenty high school students departed Saturday on a tour of historically black colleges and universities.
Rainbow PUSH Coalition President Jesse Jackson said the Coalition sponsors the week-long bus tour.
"There are more young blacks in jail cells than there are in classrooms, college classrooms. We must break that cycle," he said.
Jackson also said the Coalition has raised scholarship money to try to help 194 students attending college currently. He warned that high college costs are a serious burden for students.
" They are trapped in the student loan debt crisis. The cost of student loans are exorbitant. I mean, Spellman, $34,000 a year," said Jackson.
Reverend Jackson said college tuition and student loan expenses should be an issue in the presidential campaign.
jesse jackson, local
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds