Student shot to death near high school
CHICAGO (WLS) -- It has happened once more. Another Chicago Public Schools student has been gunned down. The shooting happened right outside Simeon High School Saturday afternoon.
Eighteen-year-old Chavez Clarke was shot in the school's parking lot at 8147 S. Vincennes. That's in Chicago's Gresham neighborhood on the South Side.
"People get scared to come to school 'cause they don't know what's gonna happen...you gotta watch your back at school 'cause anything could happen," said LaPricia Strong, student.
Students attending a basketball tournament at Simeon High School were unprepared for the violence that happened outside. Witnesses say there was an argument in the parking lot. Shots were fired and Chavez Clarke was hit. He was rushed to the hospital where he died.
"He's nice. He was caring. I just talked to him," said Jasmine Moore, victim's friend.
The 18-year old victim was going to weekend school at Simeon. It's a program for students who need to make up credits. His relatives say the high school senior was trying to better himself and finish his education.
"When these things happen they're at the wrong place at the wrong time. I beg to differ; if you can't go to school and be safe, if you can't go to school and get an education from being threatened, then it's a problem," said Rev. John H. Jones, victim's uncle.
The death comes a day after four 15-year olds were shot at different locations around the city. One of the victims was Miguel Pedro. Witnesses say he had been standing on the street, in the 1600-block of North Keeler, when someone shouted gang slogans and began shooting. He was wounded in the back and died at a hospital several hours later.
Parents all over the city are outraged about the outbreak of violence involving teenagers.
"The parents have got to stay involved, stay with your kids, keep your kids active, keep them off the streets," said Letia Lowd, parent.
Police report they found a weapon at the scene of Saturday's shooting. They arrested three people including the alleged shooter. So far, no one has been charged.
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport 21 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs 2 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters 20 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Dangerous cold for Bears game 18 min ago
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side 5 min ago
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time'
- 'Frozen' takes top box office spot with $31.6M
- 7 in :77
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare...
21 min ago
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos