Chicago teen dies after apparent beating
CHICAGO (WLS) -- A Chicago teenager died after he was apparently beaten.
The body of 16-year-old John Mendoza was found in a South Side alley Monday. His father says Mendoza left Gage Park High School because of the violence there.
Mendoza was attending classes at Job Corps on South Kedzie. His father usually drove his son to school but was in the hospital for knee surgery. He spoke to Mendoza Monday as he was leaving to go to school. Several hours later, he learned his son was dead.
"I lost a nephew and stuff like that but none of my own. I always thought it happened to that family, it's not going to happen to mine. But you can't think like that no more," said Jose Mendoza, father.
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Ga lottery winner claims Mega Millions prize
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Durbin presses regulators to prevent tanker tragedies
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus