Chicago teen dies after apparent beating
CHICAGO (WLS) -- A Chicago teenager died after he was apparently beaten.
The body of 16-year-old John Mendoza was found in a South Side alley Monday. His father says Mendoza left Gage Park High School because of the violence there.
Mendoza was attending classes at Job Corps on South Kedzie. His father usually drove his son to school but was in the hospital for knee surgery. He spoke to Mendoza Monday as he was leaving to go to school. Several hours later, he learned his son was dead.
"I lost a nephew and stuff like that but none of my own. I always thought it happened to that family, it's not going to happen to mine. But you can't think like that no more," said Jose Mendoza, father.
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead 56 min ago
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Chicago Bulls launch 'SEE RED' playoff campaign
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77