Chicago teen dies after apparent beating
CHICAGO (WLS) -- A Chicago teenager died after he was apparently beaten.
The body of 16-year-old John Mendoza was found in a South Side alley Monday. His father says Mendoza left Gage Park High School because of the violence there.
Mendoza was attending classes at Job Corps on South Kedzie. His father usually drove his son to school but was in the hospital for knee surgery. He spoke to Mendoza Monday as he was leaving to go to school. Several hours later, he learned his son was dead.
"I lost a nephew and stuff like that but none of my own. I always thought it happened to that family, it's not going to happen to mine. But you can't think like that no more," said Jose Mendoza, father.
- Chicago honors military in Memorial Day Parade
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 57 min ago
- 'Electric Daisy Carnival' keeping area residents up all night
- Joliet man facing child porn charges
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- Robbie Rogers heading to Galaxy as league's 1st openly gay...
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos