Chicago police involved in deadly shooting
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Chicago police officers have been involved in a shooting on the city's Northwest Side that killed one man.
Eighteen-year-old Luis Colon was shot and killed by police.
Police cordoned off the area where the shooting occurred at 5 p.m. in the 2700-block of North Kilbourn. Police were reportedly questioning several people in connection to the case.
A police source told ABC7 that officers approached a group of young people on the street and one man turned and walked away. When officers tried to stop him, the source said that person reached for a weapon in his waistband and pointed it at officers. Then, officials said, the officers opened fire. Witnesses said they heard six shots fired.
Police said Colon is a convicted felon on parole for unlawful use of a weapon. He was just released from prison.
"They're here to serve and protect, not to kill," said mother Maria Colon, crying. "They're killing innocent people."
Police say a loaded .357 Lugar handgun was found near the person shot. A witness on the scene said Luis Colon did have a gun.
"He was just gonna go put the gun down, and the cops shot him six times, you know? What kind of people do that these days?" said witness Destiny Pagan.
This is the ninth police shooting within two weeks. Five of them have been fatal.
A gang war is raging in the neighborhood where Luis Colon was shot, but just as great is the mistrust of law enforcement.
"The police stop us every day for no reason," said resident Moses Perez.
"They could've shot him in the leg. They could've shot him in the arm. Why did they shoot to kill him?" said Maria Colon in tears.
local, ben bradley
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly 41 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer 9 min ago