Chicago: one of the most walkable US cities
Chicago is one of the most walkable cities in the nation, according to a web site that rated cities based on how easy it is to get around on foot.
Walkscore.com rates locations based on proximity to amenities such as schools, workplaces, supermarkets, parks and public spaces. Amenities within a quarter mile earn the most points, those more than a mile away earn zero.
San Francisco topped the rankings of the country's 40 biggest cities, followed by New York, Boston and then Chicago.
Neighborhoods also were ranked.
The top-scoring Chicago neighborhoods are pretty obvious with the Loop coming in highest with 98 out of 100 points, followed by the near North Side. Hyde Park also made the list with 87 points.
The least walkable cities on the list were Charlotte, North Carolina; Nashville, Tennessee; and Jacksonville, Florida.
- Frigid temps, sub-zero wind chills settle in 4 min ago
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Amputee Coalition camp builds support for youth 23 min ago
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $297M
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- Video: The Ditka you didn't know
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas
- Frigid temps, sub-zero wind chills settle in
4 min ago
- Amputee Coalition camp builds support for...
23 min ago