Chicago: one of the most walkable US cities
Chicago is one of the most walkable cities in the nation, according to a web site that rated cities based on how easy it is to get around on foot.
Walkscore.com rates locations based on proximity to amenities such as schools, workplaces, supermarkets, parks and public spaces. Amenities within a quarter mile earn the most points, those more than a mile away earn zero.
San Francisco topped the rankings of the country's 40 biggest cities, followed by New York, Boston and then Chicago.
Neighborhoods also were ranked.
The top-scoring Chicago neighborhoods are pretty obvious with the Loop coming in highest with 98 out of 100 points, followed by the near North Side. Hyde Park also made the list with 87 points.
The least walkable cities on the list were Charlotte, North Carolina; Nashville, Tennessee; and Jacksonville, Florida.
- Wortham lawsuit settled with Mississippi gun dealer
- Judge orders Jennifer Del Prete eligible for bond 39 min ago
- Vets raise money to build WWII submarine memorial
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- NTSB head calls for rail tank car chages
- Chicago advances plan for earlier Sunday liquor sales
- Divvy passes 1 million trip milestone in 9 months 48 min ago
- CPS adds 3 schools to turnaround list
- Van driver dies in fiery CTA bus crash 1 min ago
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Loyola: Student Lucas Fleisher found OK
- Illinois republicans split on Rauner term limit proposal
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos