Potential Cubs owner visits Chicago
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Potential Chicago Cubs owner Mark Cuban was in the city Wednesday night.
Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, is usually reluctant to talk about his bid to buy the Cubs.
He was bowling with Cubs players Wednesday night. But it's baseball he's after, and he is reportedly the leading bid, offering $1.3 billion to buy the team.
Cuban attended Kerry Wood's fundraiser to help Chicago students. And he's reaching out.
"Right now, I'm just a fan supporting a great organization, and that's why I'm here," Cuban said.
And if he's the next owner?
"I'm in a position, fortunately, where I don't have to worry about that stuff. I just have to worry about getting hitters out," Wood said.
Cuban is well-known for purchasing the Dallas Mavericks in 2000 and turning the team around with his whatever-it-takes-to-win attitude.
"Well, he turned the basketball franchise that he owned around, so he's a big businessman, he invests a lot in players," said Cubs player Aramis Ramirez.
And Cuban is known for listening to fans as well as being one, not just in Dallas but at Wrigley Field.
"We'll see him in the outfield bleachers next to the dugout. We'll give him a wink and say, 'hi.' It's good times in Chicago," said Mike Fontenot, Cubs player.
Good times that Cuban says he'll do his best to be a part of in the future.
local, stacey baca
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 12 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 10 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum 47 min ago
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime 31 min ago
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- Larkin High School poms squad honored 48 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day 49 min ago
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Some IL concealed carry applicants notified...
41 min ago