Potential Cubs owner visits Chicago
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Potential Chicago Cubs owner Mark Cuban was in the city Wednesday night.
Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, is usually reluctant to talk about his bid to buy the Cubs.
He was bowling with Cubs players Wednesday night. But it's baseball he's after, and he is reportedly the leading bid, offering $1.3 billion to buy the team.
Cuban attended Kerry Wood's fundraiser to help Chicago students. And he's reaching out.
"Right now, I'm just a fan supporting a great organization, and that's why I'm here," Cuban said.
And if he's the next owner?
"I'm in a position, fortunately, where I don't have to worry about that stuff. I just have to worry about getting hitters out," Wood said.
Cuban is well-known for purchasing the Dallas Mavericks in 2000 and turning the team around with his whatever-it-takes-to-win attitude.
"Well, he turned the basketball franchise that he owned around, so he's a big businessman, he invests a lot in players," said Cubs player Aramis Ramirez.
And Cuban is known for listening to fans as well as being one, not just in Dallas but at Wrigley Field.
"We'll see him in the outfield bleachers next to the dugout. We'll give him a wink and say, 'hi.' It's good times in Chicago," said Mike Fontenot, Cubs player.
Good times that Cuban says he'll do his best to be a part of in the future.
local, stacey baca
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake