More than 30 dogs rescued from suburban home
CHICAGO (WLS) -- More than 30 dogs have been rescued from a home in south suburban Homewood. Authorities say the animals were found in filthy conditions, and some were in poor health.
Homewood police were tipped off that a possible illegal dog-breeding operation had been going on in ahome. When investigators arrived, they found about 30 dogs living in squalor.
"The condition of the dogs was terrible. They were in their own feces and urine. They had no food or water," said Larry Draus of the Cook County Animal Crimes unit.
"As a dog enthusiast, I'm shocked by the condition these dogs were living in," Homewood Police Department Dep. Chief Jim Gannon said.
Police say the boyfriend of the homeowner is the one responsible. So-called 'backyard breeders' can sell designer dogs for $500 or $600. There were also about 15 pit bulls living at the home.
"The pit bulls, we don't know what his purposes were, but many times, when we see pit bulls, what they do is they breed them and sell them to gang members for fighting," said Draus.
The South Suburban Humane Society took possession of all but three dogs living inside the home. The Humane Society is hoping to find homes for all of the dogs after they are cleaned up. The animals will need a lot of care.
"I burst into tears. The first little ones that came out were in pretty bad condition. The little Chihuahuas had their nails so grown over that they were curling back under the pads of their feet. We're going to get them trimmed and get them cleaned and give them all the care they deserve that they didn't get," said Emily Gruszka of the South Suburban Humane Society.
Anyone interested in adopting a pet is asked to call 708-755- PETS (7387).
local, dan ponce
- Fire at building, church in Gary, Indiana
- Fast-food workers protest low wages
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment
- Mayor to create grocery store task force
- 2 men arrested on drug charges
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace... 51 min ago
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- 2015 Ford Mustang unveiling to celebrate 50 years
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos