Teen attacked on Near North Side
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Chicago police are looking for suspects in the sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl. The attack happened in broad daylight on Saturday near Seward Park, on the North Side, near Division and Orleans.
The teenager says there were three attackers. Police haven't confirmed that, but they are looking for more than one suspect.
The girl was hospitalized and is cooperating with police.
One resident says Seward Park has been a trouble spot in the past.
"They know this park, they know there be fights over here, people get robbed over here. The police station is right here. You'd think they would put more officers over here, but they're not going to," said Mattie Gibson, neighbor
This is also a neighborhood where families go for walks, or exercise, with some expectation of a safe environment.
Investigators say there's a possibility the young woman who was attacked knows at least one of the suspects. That doesn't reduce the concern that residents have.
"Clearly, I get very nervous, and I wonder what the police are doing about it to try to make sure that we are protecting the younger people -- well, any women, in general -- in the morning or in the evening, whenever they want," said Lynn Howard, neighbor.
The victim is reportedly hospitalized Friday afternoon in stable condition.
local, dan ponce
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos