Teen attacked on Near North Side
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Chicago police are looking for suspects in the sexual assault of a 13-year-old girl. The attack happened in broad daylight on Saturday near Seward Park, on the North Side, near Division and Orleans.
The teenager says there were three attackers. Police haven't confirmed that, but they are looking for more than one suspect.
The girl was hospitalized and is cooperating with police.
One resident says Seward Park has been a trouble spot in the past.
"They know this park, they know there be fights over here, people get robbed over here. The police station is right here. You'd think they would put more officers over here, but they're not going to," said Mattie Gibson, neighbor
This is also a neighborhood where families go for walks, or exercise, with some expectation of a safe environment.
Investigators say there's a possibility the young woman who was attacked knows at least one of the suspects. That doesn't reduce the concern that residents have.
"Clearly, I get very nervous, and I wonder what the police are doing about it to try to make sure that we are protecting the younger people -- well, any women, in general -- in the morning or in the evening, whenever they want," said Lynn Howard, neighbor.
The victim is reportedly hospitalized Friday afternoon in stable condition.
local, dan ponce
- Snow in forecast as shoppers brave deep freeze 49 min ago
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident 58 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- ON DEMAND: ABC 7 Chicago's 'Heart and Soul'
- Young singer with autism releases inspirational song 59 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Astor House tenants face eviction
- Cancer patient without heat after power shut off
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Dylan's electric guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Ran Hotel With Grilling Area
- Snow in forecast as shoppers brave deep...
49 min ago
- Young singer with autism releases...
59 min ago