More mob indictments in Berwyn blast
CHICAGO (WLS) -- More indictments may be coming in the federal government's investigation of a 2003 bombing of a Berwyn video gaming business.
The blast was an alleged threat to prevent the company from competing with a Chicago mob owned business. Mark Polchan, 41, and Samuel Volpendesto, 84, both pleaded not guilty to charges that they made and planted explosives in C & S Coin Operated Amusements located at 6508 W. 16th St. in Berwyn. Their boss, Michael Marcello, who pleaded guilty to racketeering and tax fraud in last year's mob murder trial, Operation Family Secrets, owned a competing gaming business.
Assistant U. S. Attorney T. Markus Funk told U.S. District Judge Ronald A. Guzman that several more defendants may be added to the case. According to prosecutors organized crime had a corner on the $13-million-a-year video gaming business in Chicago's western suburbs
The government turned over 24 DVDs and 24,000 pages of FBI reports as evidence, according to defense attorney Damon Cheronis. Volpendesto's indictment says the Oak Brook octogenarian talked on undercover tape about the bombings and connected an unnamed individual referred to only as the "Large Guy." The government refers to that man as Outfit Member A, who worked for Outfit boss Johnny "Apes" Monteleone.
Last August, the ABC7 I-Team identified Outfit member A as Mike Sarno, formerly known as "Fat Boy." The Westchester home of the convicted gangster was raided by the FBI in connection with the bombing. Sarno, now known in mob circles as "the large guy," has not been charged in the case. He told the I-Team this summer that he would have nothing to say about the legal matter.
Michael Knight of Merrillville Indiana, pleaded guilty in September of supplying Volpendesto with explosive materials
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 13 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 4 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
13 min ago